Skip to main content

A Green Meander

Comments

  1. Nice picture, av. Kind of looks like the Nemunas which winds its way through southern Lithuania. We had a mini-vacation, taking the little one to Druskininkai, which is famous for its salt baths. We got the full treatments and the little one got to swim in a salt water pool. Skin feels refreshed after the cold dry winter. Beautiful bike paths and a new "adventure park" with all sorts of climbing activities, other assorted adventures and a zip line across the river. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Gintaras.

    Sounds like you and the family had a great spring break. It sure sounds good right now, looking out on a gray sky threatening to spring snow any minute.

    Last month I bought a little camper van so hope I can get out and do a little more warm weather traveling myself soon. I could always go to the salt lake, I guess!

    Not sure where this river is from. I found it at a "wallpaper" site. Think spring, think green, think transcendental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said hello to Robert yesterday. He follows the blog and hopes to be posting soon. Sends everyone his best wishes. He would enjoy your e-mails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert you are indeed missed.I have cable now and watch Sponge Bob all the time thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a real weekend meander -- just back from seeing Leon Redbone at a local bar. What an amazing performer. Odd to be sure. But a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of fun, av. I got back into reading Emerson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know where to put this so I 'll put it here but I was watching"They Died with their Boots On"on TCM this morning which I had never seen.First off Erroll Flynn wasn't very convincing as Custer but Anthony Quinn as Sitting Bull was a hoot.Also the new HBC flyer is out and it seems Nathaniel Philbrick has taken on the Little BigHorn battle.I like Philbrick but I doubt I'm going to buy the book.It's been done many times and I think Killing Custer was the the best and the end to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't be any worse than Burt Lancaster in Apache,

    http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=80097

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I wish I would have seen both of those (I think....)! I lose track of TCM in the spring/summer.

    I wonder what "ship" Philbrick sees in the Big Horn, other than the one Custer sank. Seems a little beyond his reach -- although I do love his other books. I've read them all but the one on the Mayflower.

    As for Jim's book on the Little Big Horn, I agree. That is a perfect and yet still a very personal book. I've not seen the movie they made at the same time, but assume it's good as well. There's another book from the perspective of both the Cheyenne and the Crow -- something about men and horses falling in camp. I'll see if I can find it in my bookcases.

    This is one of those battle fields that is worth visiting if you ever have a chance. Particularly now that they have a monument to the ghost warriors alongside the Custer obelisk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

O Pioneers!

It is hard not to think of Nebraska without thinking of its greatest writer.  Here is a marvelous piece by Capote, Remembering Willa Cather . I remember seeing a stage production of O Pioneers! and being deeply moved by its raw emotions.  I had read My Antonia before, and soon found myself hooked, like Capote was by the simple elegance of her prose and the way she was able to evoke so many feelings through her characters.  Much of it came from the fact that she had lived those experiences herself. Her father dragged the family from Virginia to Nebraska in 1883, when it was still a young state, settling in the town of Red Cloud. named after one of the great Oglala chiefs.  Red Cloud was still alive at the time, living on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, in the aftermath of the "Great Sioux Wars" of 1876-77.  I don't know whether Cather took any interest in the famous chief, although it is hard to imagine not.  Upon his death in 1909, he was eulogi

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

  Welcome to this month's reading group selection.  David Von Drehle mentions The Melting Pot , a play by Israel Zangwill, that premiered on Broadway in 1908.  At that time theater was accessible to a broad section of the public, not the exclusive domain it has become over the decades.  Zangwill carried a hopeful message that America was a place where old hatreds and prejudices were pointless, and that in this new country immigrants would find a more open society.  I suppose the reference was more an ironic one for Von Drehle, as he notes the racial and ethnic hatreds were on display everywhere, and at best Zangwill's play helped persons forget for a moment how deep these divides ran.  Nevertheless, "the melting pot" made its way into the American lexicon, even if New York could best be describing as a boiling cauldron in the early twentieth century. Triangle: The Fire That Changed America takes a broad view of events that led up the notorious fire, noting the gro

Colonel

Now with Colonel Roosevelt , the magnum opus is complete. And it deserves to stand as the definitive study of its restless, mutable, ever-boyish, erudite and tirelessly energetic subject. Mr. Morris has addressed the toughest and most frustrating part of Roosevelt’s life with the same care and precision that he brought to the two earlier installments. And if this story of a lifetime is his own life’s work, he has reason to be immensely proud.  -- Janet Maslin -- NY Times . Let the discussion begin!